Los Angeles Fire Chief Douglas Barry announced his intent to retire at a Thursday afternoon press conference.

KTTV-TV's John Schwada reports...



Chief Barry issued this statement to LAFD members Thursday morning...

"For the past two-and-a-half years, I have had the honor and privilege of serving you and the people of Los Angeles as Fire Chief. It has been the proudest time of my 34-year career and so it is with a deep sense of gratitude that I announce my intent to retire effective August 30, 2009.

As I reflect back, I am proudest of what we as a Department have accomplished together. We have brought about a unity of purpose and have moved our Department to even higher levels of professionalism both operationally and in our work environment. We have made great strides in strengthening our future leaders by giving them the tools they need to be successful.

I am encouraged by the current spirit of the Department and believe it is on the verge of achieving bigger and better things. It is my strong belief that the progress and improvements we have achieved together will have long lasting positive impacts.

Over the next several months I will continue to focus on the future of the Department and will ensure that there is a seamless transition of leadership. I will give my all, and I ask you to do the same, in making the Department’s next leader equally successful.

In closing, I cannot put into words my appreciation for the support and encouragement I’ve received from all levels of the Department. It has been a humbling, unforgettable experience. I thank all of you, sworn and civilian for making my time as Fire Chief such a rewarding experience. I owe all of you a debt of gratitude."


Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

0 komentar

Blog Archive